Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Still Learning


Last night I learned the names of all the fingers in Spanish because I am teaching my host mother and brother how to type. As I learn, I am also realizing how much Spanish I don’t know. I never think that I don’t know something until I’m speaking and have to pause and think, I have no idea how to say that. In this situation, I was trying to describe to my mom and little brother where to place their fingers when I realized that I didn’t know what they were called. They quickly filled me in, though:
Thumb: Pulgar
Index: Indice
Middle: Medio
Ring: Anolar
Pinky: Meñique
And then I taught them their names in English. I always try to make sure to trade them knowledge for knowledge.

Typing has been going splendidly. I will give them a line to type (usually nonsense since they only know one row of letters) and then have them type it while timing them using the timer on my ipod. I’ve been making it into a competition and trying to get them to do a certain number of characters in under a minute. The first time my host brother was able to do it he jumped up and ran around the house yelling, “¡Lo hice! ¡Lo hice!” which means, “I did it!!” which was very cute. Now it’s becoming a competition between the two of them to see who can do it faster.

Thus far, Grace (host mom) is winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment